Monday, June 6, 2011

Dollar$ and $en$e: Identity Theft

You hear about it happening.

I have received telemarketing calls before, you know, the one where "you won a trip courtesy of ___, now all you need to do is pay $XX.XX for administrative fees and the trip is all yours!".

It's creepy though, getting the call.

The, "I am calling from your bank, there has been a mistake, we need to confirm your information..."

I get why some people fall into the trap. You hear it and your heart starts pumping, the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and the panic sets in.

I've watched CBC's Marketplace. I know how it works.

(Click on the link and see what Marketplace is up to.)

They ask me to spell my last name.

I don't.

I hang up the phone (politely), giving not a single shred of information and call my bank.

Yep-scam.

My advice to anyone who gets those kind of calls. Tell them "thanks for the information, I will be in contact soon for more information", then hang-up, and call the bank, hydro company (wherever the call is from) and confirm with them directly.

If it is true, they will re-route to the department that handles those concerns, if it isn't-you just saved yourself a lot of stress.

STAY SAFE: DON'T GIVE YOUR INFORMATION OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment