Friday, June 1, 2012

Canada's First Male Midwife-About Time

Meet Canada’s first male midwife - Health - Macleans.ca

It popped up in my Facebook feed and my first thought was..."it's 2012 and now is the first time we have a graduating male midwife?!"

Okay, so in my opinion, it's taken too long. But better late then never!

I mean after all, if you are not having a midwife, then you are looking at a doctor; and I am guessing that the number of male doctors are probably higher than females. So it's not really a stretch.

For myself, second baby, second midwife-and thrilled about my choice.

I don't plan on having a homebirth, I am most comfortable in a hospital.

So why the midwife at all?

I want constant care, I want someone to be there from beginning to end. I don't want to be stressing when the shift change happens and nurses change (because in most cases, the nurses get you to pushing, the doctors arrive for the 'big show'), I don't want to be hoping that my doctor is in or that he/she doesn't come off a 18 hour shift and decides to pass me off to someone else because they can longer function.
I want the confidence of someone who delivers babies for a living, someone who's goal it is so to have my delivery go as 'naturally' as possible.
I want someone who does haven't a clock on what my body and baby are doing...I want someone who knows that with their support, I am more likely to have a birth outcome that I am happy with then by using drugs and other medical interventions to 'speed the process along'.

The Male/Female thing-to me is irrelevant. If he is good, he is good. End of story.

So welcome to the practice of midwifery, Otis Kryzanauskas!

Thanks for paving the way for other men that are also interested in this field!

Thank you for joining the thousands of Canadian Midwives who have delivered safe and healthy babies into the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment