Monday, April 25, 2011

"I'm still her Uncle right??"

We were all sitting around talking about my brother and closest sibling in age who traveled from Quesnel, B.C. to be with us over Easter holidays. This was the first time he was going to meet his niece Jay, and I for one was ecstatic.

However, as we are sitting there talking about this my youngest brother says..."I'm still Jay's Uncle right??"

Now, to the average person, this might seem like an odd statement at best. However, in my case, this was just down right adorable. You see, my youngest brother is not quite 4 years old.

I am fortunate to have a constantly growing family. My parents divorced when I was 10 years old, and since then have remarried and are continuing to build onto our family. Of course, starting out at the age of 16 makes having a 3 1/2 year old brother not at all strange.

Right now, Sawyer***, (the youngest brother...so far...) is at the age where family matters, well, at least titles do. He has been trying to understand the relationships around him, which can be confusing when one person can be a mom, and auntie, sister, daughter...). In the confusion he has been known to get teary-eyed when he thinks that he might not be "mommy's son anymore", for example, after an explanation about how my husband is "mommy's son-in-law".

So this visit with my older brother had Sawyer momentarily concerned. He loves being Jay's uncle. He happily introduces himself as such to family and friends with pride. So he took a moment of clarity to insure that in all this, he has not lost his place...

He couldn't possibly be more cute in that moment, or more hug-able.

All I can say is, how lucky I am, to have such a beautiful little brother, but more than that...how lucky my lil' Jay is. She will have an uncle, but more than that I am sure, she will have a life-long friend in Sawyer.


***Name has been changed for the purpose of this blog

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love you and are so proud of you! xoxox mulu

    ReplyDelete