Thursday, April 21, 2011

The trouble with packing...

Easter weekend for us, like many people, means a trip to visit family. A chance to change up the treadmill that we are often on when at home, a breather of sorts.

So here I am, 11:00am in the morning, 4 hours shy of heading down island, and with what seems to be, a mountain of packing and prepping.

Now, my husband and I happen to love road trips. Until this morning I was of the belief that we pretty much had a down-pat system for getting us on the road...

It has now come to my attention that our 'system' is hugely flawed.

Packing and prepping to leave for the weekend is a whole lot more complicated with an infant.

Never mind the odds and ends that you need to remember for them: the bjorn for long walks, the peanut shell for short, her favorite toy so she has something to play with in the car, the blankets, the receiving blankets, the infant Tylenol, the nose baster (I have done everything in my power to avoid sucking the boogers out of my little one)...

Then of course there are the things that you want to bring down to the relatives...

And all of things that must be done to 'close up shop' for a few days so that you don't come home to smelly garbages and rotting food in the refrigerator. Also, we like to power everything off and save us some $$$ while we are away and not using those power suckers...

There is also the items which you must pack for yourself...

All of which I suppose isn't so bad except that I get into 'couple packing mode' and not 'family packing mode'...I have not accounted for the fact that I have to maneuver this around her schedule. Apparently I have not allotted enough time to consider the type of mood she is in. The number of feedings and cuddles she will need in between the chaos. Of course, I should have realized that you need more time that usual because Jay knows that something is going on, and now wants more of my time and attention than usual.

Of course it doesn't help that my list system is flawed in all of this. I have been making list after list for the last few days. An electronic list X2, a few written lists, and now, I can't find the written ones, and the electronic ones are to general...

I'm strongly thinking of running down to my husbands work and laminating a 'must haves' list for every trip and tape it to the back of the front door.

Instead, I'm going to keep packing and remember for next time that I need to approach packing like a marathon---stretching it out over a few days, rather than like the sprint that I am used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment