Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Moving, with an infant, and all those moving complications...

The washer and dryer are in.

The test load is running.

Yes, a test load. Because experience has told us that believing that just because it is "new" doesn't mean it's going to work. So a load of rags are in the rinse cycle and I am trying to get this in before my almost 14 week old daughter decides that my husbands noises and funny faces are no longer entertaining.

Today has marked, what we hope to be, the end of a incredibly stressful move.

We live in a smaller town, and we rent. We rent in a community that has little to offer in the way of rentals. Up until about a month ago we were living on the third floor of an apartment that left much to be desired. The smell of rancid food, smoke, and other 'people' smells was enough of a reason to get out of there. Then there was the neighbors, the fighting, the partying...hardly what we considered appropriate for our new, growing family.

So we decided that we were going to move (with a 2 month old), to a place that we could grow into. Somewhere that we could feel safe and comfortable to raise our daughter. So we found this townhouse in a newly renovated complex, which hasn't yet been lived in (woohoo brand new is what I'm thinking), family oriented, and at a decent price. We jumped on it, not knowing how long we would have before someone else got it. Besides, making this move #4 in the last 2 years, we figured we had this moving thing down pat...even with a daughter.

Well, the list of things that went wrong seemed to be endless...

Day One, daughter and husband are sick. So of course all she wants is to be held-meaning that I am hardly any help on moving day. Oh yeah, and the 1/2 bath toilet is leaking. Thank goodness we are renting because we aren't even in 3 hours and already the place is starting to cost $$$.
Oh yes, and Telus goofed and cancelled our services 2 days early....and since we are one of a few it seems who don't own a cell...we are off the grid until they can send someone out.

Day Two, husband wakes me up to "our bathroom is leaking into the kitchen". To which I replied with some profanities and "you have got to be kidding me" as I ran down the stairs to see the leak. Oh yes, the plumbing in this house was not quite done properly, nothing was sealed right. So after a visit from the plumber, the assessment was as follows: 2 leaking sinks, a leaking tub, a leaking toilet, a hot water tank that needs to be replaced. Again...thank goodness we are renting.

Day Three, after several calls to the caretaker (a very sweet lady) the washer and dryer are apparently on backorder, and despite the 5 weeks notice they were given to have it in, we are having to drag our laundry to a friends.
If it wasn't bad enough, both hubby and daughter sick, I too got the bug and in a tearful panic admitted to my husband that there was no way I could take care of me and my baby girl...alone...all day...so-sick day #2 was spent the three of us feeling miserable, tag-teaming our daughter duties-in dirty clothes.

Day Four, what is that smell??? Smells, a major reason for moving in the first place...of course we moved next door to pot smokers! Something we never noticed when we first toured the place, nor in the first few days living here but now every hole in the wall shared with our neighbors is being bombarded with the stench and no amount of foam filler seems to help...

A few days later, still stinking, so now a call to the police. Which has ended in our favor-I think enough said on that account.

So here we are, a month later. No longer sick...with a washer and dryer that works...the rinse cycle having just finished. I can feel the stress of the last 2 months slowly starting to shed. Though I am less optimistic that I will ever look at this place with the same sense of hope that I had pre-move.

And in truth, the move with a 2 month old, in itself was not all that hard. In fact, we had more help than many of the moves we have done in the past, and we were prepared in many ways, more than we have ever been.

However, moving always comes with it's own sort of complications, most unforeseen. When it was just the two of us, and things went awry it was okay. This time though, feeling like I had failed in some small way as a parent was what made this move so stressful. Feeling like there were things I should have seen, things that should have sent giant red flags up, so at the very least we could have been more prepared. It is that guilt that made this such a rough experience.

So what have I learned in all of this?

We don't always get a test cycle. Sometimes things can't be foreseen. Sometimes no matter how well prepared you are-things go wrong. Sometimes you make the bold move, and you just have to learn from the mistakes that ensue. I certainly never would suggest moving with an infant if you don't have to, it's emotionally draining if nothing else.

More importantly, I realize that my daughter Jay*** will never be the wiser, and I can at least wipe that guilt from conscience. More than anything, she just wants her family...and right now...she just wants the boob.




***my daughter's name has been changed for this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment