Friday, April 29, 2011

Top of my list

I made a list yesterday.

A list of all the things I wanted to get done before my hubby gets home.

It's amazing how, no matter how reasonable my list feels like for the day, I rarely accomplish every single thing. 

It can be awfully hard to get stuff done though when...

As if on cue, my lil Jay starts crying, now happily playing on her playmat I am going to attempt to finish this...

As I was saying, it can be awfully hard to accomplish anything when you have kids around. Not just because they cry, or even because they need to be changed or fed. Sometimes because I can't help but get wrapped up in the little moments. The little moments I won't ever get back again.

Yesterday she worked tirelessly on rolling over. She has a system, she tucks her feet in and uses the momentum from that action to turn her hips over. Then she plasters her face into the mat and tries to get the rest of her body over. If only she could pull her hand and shoulder out she would have it.

After a few moments of struggling she squawks into the mat and turns back over. Just to do it all over again.

I watch, I try not to get to close, not to break her focus.

When she gets frustrated I desperately want to help, but I don't. I let her do it. I let her master it, I let her struggle.

Just like us, I do believe that children need those opportunities...to try, and try again, and sometimes fail. (I also believe in parents being close at hand though, I know that if this becomes to much for her, that I can swoop her in my arms and comfort her.)

I know that today, like yesterday, she will try to roll. Maybe today will be the day she gets it, maybe not.

Maybe today I will get everything done on my list. Maybe not.

Maybe I should just remind myself that the top of my 'daily do list' always says 'Jay'...



BTW: Anyone else breathing a sigh of relief after a fairly successful first game vs Nashville?

No comments:

Post a Comment