Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Small town shopping

I didn't have much to do...

Pick up 1/2 dozen things for Easter gifts, a birthday present for our babysitter and 1/2 dozen items at the grocery store.

But I live in a small town...

For those of you who live in a big center, you will hardly come upon this...you go to the mall, you shop, you hardly make any eye contact at all. You refrain from anything other than quick pleasentries with the cashier. Then you go home.

On the rare occasion that you run into someone you know, you wave or nod, and continue on. Knowing that both you and the other party has a list a mile long, limited time to do it, and it takes forever to get from point A to point B.

Here, it is not the case.

We run into one of our friends, and we decide to hit the first store together, taking twice as long to pick up a few things while we talk about their new home purchase (exciting), how her little boy is one already (scary how quick it went) and how her sisters are doing. Then as we break off from her and her son, Jay and I run into my old neighbor, who can't believe how big Jay has gotten. We chat, and 5 minutes later continue on.  Of course, we run into a few people in the grocery store in the milk section, by the banana's and once more by the bread. Then we chat with one of our regular cashiers, talk about my due date and how I am managing with Jay, a new home, and everything that goes with life in its naturally hectic state. Then we head to the drugstore and chat to a lady who loves Jay's red hair and is excited for her first grandbaby due in May. Then we chat with the cashier, who knows our babysitter, and 10 minutes later we are still chatting about the difficulties of finding a babysitter, and when you find one, how important it is to latch on to them...and if 'only they wouldn't grow up, move away, get better paying jobs'.

In total, the actual shopping probably only took me 10 minutes.

We were at the mall for 1 1/2 hours...

And I loved it.

Yes, it can take a ridiculous amount of time to do the must mundane of tasks...but I feel so connected to my community, my home...there is a security in knowing that when I am out, I know the people whom I talk to. Their families, friends, I know whose advice to get for what, and whose to avoid.

It took me an hour and half...and I came home, not flustered or frustrated, but happy that I had them time it takes to connect to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment