Monday, May 2, 2011

Nary a word...

Shame on me.

It has been brought to my attention that I failed to include the recent nuptials of one, William Arthur Phillip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor to Catherine 'Kate' Elizabeth Middleton on April 29th, 2011.

Blah blah blah blah blah...

I was not one of the many that drowned themselves in coffee to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the 2am live viewing of their special day.

However it was not because I don't find British History, especially Royalty, fascinating. Its just...this century is a lot less interesting as compared to the time of King Richard, or my favorite, King Henry the VIII-you know, the time when the monarchy had real control over the everyday happenings of the lives of civilians.

In fact, I have devoted hours upon hours reading fiction and non-fiction alike in the area. I especially love getting lost in the historical fiction novels by writers like Anne Easter Smith, Phillipa Gregory and Ken Follett.

In this case though, I felt bombarded by every newspaper and media outlet.

I could hardly turn on the TV without being told out by the Royal Wedding and some fascinating tidbit or speculation about their wedding day. By the time the wedding actually came around, I felt that I had already spent so much time listening about it, devoting more time just wasn't going to happen.

Though I must agree with one interview on CBC, it is nice to celebrate love for a change isn't it?

For now, watching the highlights of their day was enough for me. It was certainly enough to form a general opinion...Kate's dress was tasteful, the affair understated in a sense that the church was not dressed to the nine's, the Queen looked fabulous for her age, and her Papa proud.

 I wish them all the best, for it can hardly be easy, to be one of the most publicly viewed marriages of our time.

Now...back to Canada where we woke up to Election Day day...monarchy doesn't rule our day-but our ELECTED government does.

People do not miss out on the opportunity and privilege that many have worked tirelessly and given their lives for.

...and if you don't vote-don't complain.


1 comment:

  1. I remember watching Dianna's wedding, so this was all a flashback for me. Very tasteful, and I enjoyed it (the next day on PVR) Lol!! And... I went and voted!

    Char

    ReplyDelete