Saturday, May 14, 2011

Paraske----eh what?

Everyone survived right?

Paraskevidekatriaphobia, or specifically Friggatriskaidekaphobia, has wormed it's way into society's superstitious heart...

I am referring to of course, the fear of Friday the 13th, which I am hoping didn't honestly keep any of you on edge yesterday on the auspicious day.

We, the human race, enjoy thrills as well as a good heart-pumping scare now and again don't we.

However, listening to people in grocery lineups talk about how "bad their kids are today" because of full moons, it being Friday the 13th, or because of sugary drinks...

I am pausing for effect. I am sure to receive raised eyebrows at the last one. Do some research, science proves otherwise-that's all I have to say.

...well, it's all laughable.

So yesterday, I laughed it up and survived the day. No I didn't walk under any ladders, but I think that is just the smart thing to do. No black cats either, there just don't seem to be any in the neighborhood...

Superstition isn't big in our house, though fears...we have plenty of those. For example, every time Jay let's out one of her espresso sounding poops, I am afraid of what changing her diaper is going to look like.






Check out the Skeptics Dictionary for more info on Friday the 13th.

For more info on random topics, that aren't just being 'debunked' but examined with a common sense approach and science to back it up, check out one of my favorite's... Skeptoid with Brian Dunning

1 comment:

  1. I love your writing and yes you should be very afraid of what is in that beautiful baby's diaper!!!!

    ReplyDelete