Friday, April 27, 2012

Letters to Great Grandma

I love technology.

Okay, well I love technology that works. Like everyone else, I too get frustrated when things don't work, have weird quirks, or don't quite work the way I want them to.

There really is something to be said though for sitting down with a piece of paper and a pen and just-writing.

My Grandma and Grandpa, Jay's Great Grandparents, lives fairly 'off the grid'. They live about 40 minutes outside of a small 3500 pop. community. They don't have running hot water, they run off of solar panels and a generator for power, and they only have a satellite phone. Yes, at my grandparents home, the outhouse is the the preferred method for the washroom, because while they do have (recently) an indoor bathroom of sorts, it's not like the bathrooms most of us Canadians are accustomed to.

So, email is out, picking up the phone is not as easy as you might think, so instead-we write letters.

Now I'll admit, I am not the best at getting them out efficiently. Life just has the way of making a "I'll sit down and write this evening'' into a bigger deal than it has to be, but truth be told...it really isn't that much more complicated then sending out an email-just less convenient.

There is something about getting a handwritten letter in the mail though that just warms the heart.

So today, I sat down, and Jay sat down with me, we 'talked' (as much as you can with a 15 month old) about the things we wanted to tell Great Grandma and Grandpa and I wondered---will she ever do this when she is older?

Kids are a product of their environment for sure, so I suppose modeling this kind of 'behavior' might mean that Jay will become a closet enthusiast for letter writing in it's simplest form-but perhaps not.

What happened to the good old pen pal? Will she never have one like I had growing up? Most likely not. Writing, communicating has taken up entirely different forms as the years tick by. The question is, will the good ol' letter die?

I hope not, so despite the fact that I already cleaned up one coloring mess today, I pulled out some paper and let her 'write' with me...every child may not get to experience letter writing as I have, but my daughter will hopefully at least get a taste-while writing to Great Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment