Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Car Conundrum...and catching up

Okay, it's been a while. For good reason...it started out with a trip down island...

If you read my Dollar$ and $en$e: Car Complex post you will remember the place that we were in with our Rav4. In short, it's a luxury vehicle...a luxury for us that we just can't afford with the amount of debt we carry. So we made a plan. Sell our dream vehicle, put half of what we get for it on debt, and the other on a new-used vehicle with less 'bells-and-whistles'.

May long weekend was key for us. We were going down island to get our vehicle's airbag sensor reset (or so we thought), visit family, enjoy a break and sell our beauty; without getting into major details, the situation was such that from a previous appointment, we were expecting a quick reset, nothing else.

While we waited we even went and checked out used cars. Even found one we liked.

Then the appointment was starting to run over an hour.

Then it was running over 2 hours.

What they thought was the problem, and what the problem actually was...was two very different things.

How different?

About $1100 difference. That's right, we were quoted, when all said and done, $1200 for what it was going to take to fix it--and it's going to take 2 weeks. Oh yeah, and it's not safe to drive the vehicle the way it is with a passenger in the front seat-never mind sell. We'd never be able to live with ourselves, selling our vehicle with that kind of risk.

Panic. Frustration. AHHHHHHHH

Why is it that every time we seem to be getting ourselves together we just get pushed back down?


This, by the way, is the exact reason why we made the decision to sell the vehicle in the first place. We don't have that kind of money burning a hole in our pocket-so where does it go? That's right-CREDIT!

BAH.

So we did the only sensible thing we could do, knowing that we have to travel down once more to pick up our vehicle and return the loaner...

We drove home. Upset to say the least.

It was a bit of a breaking point for us. We were counting on that weekend to be a turn around, and so far it wasn't looking so good.

We were determined though, to get what we needed out of the weekend, even with everything stacked against us.

Step 1: Take a break. We are super busy with friends, work, outside commitments (volunteer and otherwise), add in a very active 16 month old, time for each other...never mind time for ourselves...there isn't much left at the end of a day. So we called a timeout. Desperate to regain our sanity. Desperate to regain each other.

Step 2: Don't entirely give in...we decided that we had to stay committed to our goal, despite this unfortunate set back We have to be very realistic about what we need, as opposed to what we would like. We managed to set out a plan, that took our original 'paying-back-the-debt' plan from 5 years, to 3.5 years (less if a few things work out in our favour-but we've learned not to 'bank on it' until the monies are, well, in the bank!)

It turned out to be not an entirely awful weekend. I managed to get some nice time in with the family. Jay and her Daddy got some much needed Daddy-daughter time. I was able to write 80% of a novel I have been working on...the plot line is there, in need of desperate editing and more detail...but my sore wrists and fingers were thrilled.

Oh yes, and we have an amazing family who supports us in ways that we can't even begin to express enough gratitude for, that really made our weekend have a glimmer of hope.

So, the weekend has rejuvenated us...for the most part...we are still disappointed, but as determined as ever to change our financial future.
I had an interview today for a work-from-home Literacy Coordinator position; of course I am really hoping that it's something that I get, the hours and time commitment are perfect for what I am able to give, and will grow as I am able to give more. Even if I don't though, just interviewing made me feel like I truly was doing what I needed to, to turn things around.

That's an empowering feeling.

So that's where we are at...for now...really crossing my fingers that things just keeping moving forward, I don't know that I can take another hit like this past weekend.

So frustration is slowly turning to a feeling of hope once more. It will feel so good though, to get over this hurdle...

Wondering how the Love Challenge is going?

Day Three: I left a few love notes up the stairs for my hubby-which he kept in his bathroom for a few days as a reminder. He had the same idea and decorated the chalkboard for me with a cute note! Great minds think alike.

Day Four: Breakfast and lunch in bed---I was so spoiled. And guilty of not really doing anything special-definitely need to make up for that...I was very cranky, poor hubby. I think he deserves a medal don't you?

Day Five: Again, more spoilage for me, my hubby brushed my hair-which is one of my all time favorite pamper moments...especially since I am growing my hair out-especially for him. After the day before, I made sure to return the favour for his favourite pampering moment...head and ear massage.

Day Six: Dropped off a little snack for my hubby during work, a quick reminder that I am thinking of him. Later that night he indulged my pregnancy needs and walked down with our daughter to the grocery store for some chocolate! What woman doesn't love that??

Day Seven: A neck rub for me, a simultaneous foot rub for him. Nice to snuggle up to a show and just be with each other.


So it's been a week...and has it done anything for us?

Considering the weekend we had-it was amazing that what it didn't manage to do is turn us against each other. Which is so easy to do when life gets stressful, most people find their spouses take a lashing when life gets tough. I would certainly say that making a point of doing something 'nice', 'sweet' or 'romantic' has put us more in touch with each other, a good reminder that when our backs are up against the wall...it's "us"...together.

Hubby's thoughts: "I really like it. It makes me think of what you like a lot more, makes me feel like I have a mission, you know."

Spoken like a true Bond-man-don't ya think ;)




1 comment:

  1. By the way...
    My interview went well, but I still didn't get the job. I was pretty bummed about it because the converstation went like this..."there was nothing you could have done better, the person we hired just had more experience". Nothing like being runner up. All I can hope for is that something similar comes up in the future...

    ReplyDelete