Thursday, May 3, 2012

Operation Meat vs. Veggie: Spaghetti and Beanball Brilliance

Okay, so it's no surprise but he knows that this is an experimental week. He keeps saying things like, "do I need to take meat out of the fridge?" and apparently "I have it covered" is no longer sly enough.
He's promised not to read my blog though, so I am having fun being a dork and making it out to be some big surprise each time I begin cooking.

We had our friends and neighbours over tonight, and it was Spaghetti and Beanballs for dinner. Luckily, they eat a lot more meals sans meat, so this was hardly a stretch for them.

So the recipe that I got was from Veganomicon, which I borrowed from a friend. (Pg 189 if you are interested and have a copy...)

So what did it cost?

Kidney Beans: 28oz can/$2.83
Spices:  ~$1.00
Red Onion: 1/2 onion/$0.54
Pasta Noodles: 1/2 pkg/$1.48
Tomato Sauce: 2 cans/$3.89

Garlic Bread (friends brought)
_____________________________________

To feed 5 people, it came out to $9.74, or $1.95 per serving!

What it would have cost, had I made it with meat instead of kidney beans... around $11.71 or $2.34 per serving...making a difference of $0.39 a serving.

How did the cooking go?

Trying new recipes is always hit and miss...next time I will add more bread crumbs and pan fry on lower heat for longer (because kidney beanballs burn quickly if not attended too-thankfully easily saved). Also, I found they break apart fairly easily, so I would make the sauce separately and pour over once the ingredients have had time to cook, stirring is not really an option. If you don't have the book you can follow the recipe more or less from here. I did do the lemon zest because-yum! I also added onion.

What was the verdict?

Jay was thrilled and chowed it down like no ones business! Which really, in itself is reason enough to make again.

Our neighbours liked it-woohoo.

I really enjoyed it.
Hubby...?

I'm not sure what this says about what my normal spaghetti tastes like but apparently "it's the best spaghetti (I've) ever made!"

So I am doing a bit of a happy dance, and at the same time thinking..."crap-what's wrong with my regular spaghetti?"

Not sure which recipe I'm trying tomorrow, stay tuned will ya!




No comments:

Post a Comment