Saturday, May 5, 2012

Operation Meat vs. Veggie: (meat) Cabbage Rolls

Okay, okay, I'm preggers and craving meat. So instead of doing a tofu (cooked in beef broth) cabbage roll casserole, I actually just opted for some ground beef. Here it is!



However, I'll have you know that up on the North Island, tofu is expensive...and so it completely evens out.

I know though, its not nearly as fun as seeing what hubby thinks.

Instead however we cooked this meal together, which we rarely do, and I would cook anything if it means that we are cooking together.

So what did our MONSTROUS Cabbage Roll Casserole cost us?

Head of Cabbage (smaller): $1.42
Meat or Tofu (aprox.): $5.00
1/2 onion: $0.26
3/4 pkg Broth: $5.24
Rice: $0.53
3 cans of tomato sauce/stewed tomatoes: $6.57
_________________________________________

Okay, the numbers look like a lot, BUT, I made enough for 6 people easily (leftovers-yum yum). This comes out to $19.02 or $3.17 a serving.

You can check out the recipe I used here.

So what did everyone think?

Hubby loved it. Jay didn't want to try it, and so we gave her the last bit of spaghetti leftover from the other night. I thought it was almost as good as Nana's-which means it was good!

So tomorrow ends my Meat vs. Veggie Operation, and yes, I will be cooking a veggie dinner to end out the week...5 out of 7 veggie dinners for a 0-1 out of 7 family on a typical week is pretty good. So check out how tomorrows dinner goes. Then on Monday-I'll recap!

No comments:

Post a Comment