Tuesday, May 29, 2012

When drugs are okay...

With my first pregnancy, I had to stop taking my prenatals during the first trimester and instead supplement my diet and take extra folic acid.

My second pregnancy has been no different.

Talking to other preggo's apparently that is common...why is it that the one thing doctors recommend every woman take is the one thing that few of us can stomach?

Then there was the diclectin that my nurse practioner subscribed, which was a life-saver since I was head down in the toilet with my toddler running around loose in the house. (Waited to long to ask about something to help with the nausea.)

So here we are, third trimester, and awful heartburn (much like my first pregnancy) and one comment to my nurse practioner had me later doing a happy dance at the result.

Zantac.

I am not a Tums or Gaviscon person, really, taking anything with flavour is just-blech! Plus I was maxing out on dosage and still having issues. So here I am, on day number 3 with the calm of someone without heartburn and all I can think of is...

Why did it take me so long to ask if there was something to help?

Ladies out there, don't down play your preggo struggles. Don't chalk it up to 'I'm pregnant' and that's just 'how it is'. Because...well, as much as it may be true, your quality of life could be vastly improved by an honest conversation with your doctor.

Now I know there are women out there that are concerned about taking anything during their pregnancy, but talk to your doctor, the studies that go behind prescribing medication to pregnant women are extensive. They do not take side effects lightly in these situations.

So give yourself the gift of being able to enjoy your pregnancy!

I wish I had sooner...but at least for now, I am going to bed, as comfortable as I can-all things considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment