Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Operation Meat vs. Veggie: Enchilada Evening

I have never made enchilada's before...so I guess I get props for that right?

I know how it was supposed to look...and it certainly didn't turn out that way-it was sloppy-but it tasted really good. I guess that is what matters. I think that had I not been the one to make it, I probably would have been turned off by it's throw-up look.

Luckily, my hubby was not at all bothered by the way it looked because he called it "awesome" WOOHOO!


Thank goodness, I was a little nervous since, as I slid it into the oven, he said "another meatless dish hey?" I think he knows something is up...
Okay, so cost breakdown, here it goes...

Tortilla's: 1/2 pkg/$1.50
Cheese: 1/5 of the block/$2.40
Beans (kidney): $2.83
Beans (pinto): $2.99
Onion: $0.51
Sour Cream 1/5 of the tub/$0.58
Spices: est. $1.00
______________________________

Total for 4 people: $11.81 Which works out to $2.95 a person!

So if I would have included a layer of meat, it would have added about $5.00 to the meal, which would then work out to about $4.20 a person. Okay so not a huge difference, but worth noting.

Where did I get my recipe?  Well, I found this recipe from EatingWell and followed it more less...I did add some kidney beans to the mix and I switched out 2 tbsps of yogurt for sourcream since I would have totally forgot about the yogurt in the fridge afterwards. Little tip, bake with the lid off, I think that would have helped the enchilada stick together more.

Will definitely be trying this recipe again.

Oh yeah...and Jay? you ask. Well she's still napping and hasn't yet tried it, but I am not holding my breath.

Later that evening...

You aren't going to believe this...in fact, I can hardly believe it myself. She ate it. She liked it. She wanted MORE!
I am so excited, she could care less how it looks, I think the very fact that it came in the form that it did was why she ate it!
My daughter, picky eater, texture concious girl, she ate it-and liked it. This officially just because the best recipe that I have tried in the last few months!


No comments:

Post a Comment